The Osman Family

February 2012

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ear Infections!

Rilla and Shirley have been sick for two and a half weeks and just kept getting worse. last Saturday I took them to urgent care because Shirley was coughing and wheezing (like he did when he had RSV) and Rilla had started running a fever on Friday and was rubbing her right ear a lot. The doctor said they were fine, that they just had colds. I didn't agree with him, but I am also not the type to argue with a doctor. I knew Shirley's coughing and wheezing could be helped with a nebulizer treatment. So the last few days, they didn't get any better and at 3 am this morning Shirley woke up crying and was inconsolible. No matter what I did, he couldn't go back to sleep. I knew he was in pain of some sort. I thought it might be an ear infection because he has been rubbing his right ear as well. Luckily I had well baby checkups scheduled for them today (Rilla's 18 month and Shirley's 4 month). I had them with Doctor Collazo, and I love Doctor Collazo. He is such a good doctor and takes the time to really check and find out what is wrong when kids are sick (he is the one who had Shirley tested for RSV when I took him in two months ago). Most doctors wouldn't have even checked to see if he might have RSV. I was right. They both had double ear infections. Poor kids. I am so happy that they seem to be feeling better, especially Shirley. He didn't smile for us once all morning, but now he is since he is feeling better, plus he isn't coughing and wheezing so much either.  (Both of these pictures were taken by Jem)

Walter was sick with a stomach bug for a couple of days two and a half weeks ago but didn't catch the head colf/flu until yesterday. His started with a sore throat so I kept him home from school. It turned into a pretty high fever but he seemed to be feeling better tonight and actually ate some saltene crackers and top ramen (he ate almost nothing since Monday Night). Jem was sick last week but is much better now. He got the stomach bug pretty bad. Last Wednesday I had to take him to the bathroom atleast 15 times and he threw up twice. The next day he was doing much better, but did catch the head cold/flu. His symptoms have been really mild compared to the other three. I am crossing my fingers he doesn't get any worse.

It has't been all that bad. At least until last night, all of them have been sleeping through the night so I have been getting good sleep. I think that makes a big difference in a Mom's (or Dad's) sanity and patience when it comes to taking care of sick kids. i do look forward to Rilla being her normal happy go lucky self once a gain. Plus, I really hate seeing my kids sick.

No comments: