The Osman Family

February 2012

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Allergic Reaction!

I had an appointment with Shirley's Allergist yesterday morning.  The one that I was not impressed with at all.  I thought this time would be different because his allergy test results showed he was allergic to 4 out of the 5 they tested.  Boy, was I wrong. He basically dismissed the test results.  According to him it was just a coincidence that Shirley's eczema got better when I stopped eating the things he was allergic to. I told him I would like more allergy testing done and he started in on a spiel on how test can come back positive when there is no allergy when skin tests are done.  I was pretty upset at this point and interrupted him and said I knew that about skin allergy testing BUT he didn't get the skin allergy testing.  He had blood drawn and The RAST testing was done which is the most accurate.  According to what I read on the internet when researching eczema and allergies, the RAST testing can have a false negative but not a false positive.  Then he started talking about his respiratory issues and went off on how it is only viral infections that are causing his wheezing. etc.  He even told me to go ahead and feed him soy and wheat because it isn't good to give a variety of foods (to only give him a few things.  Yeah, he actually said that.  I was so mad.  I decided then that I would never see him again, but make an appointment with his daughter in Tucson, who takes Shirley's allergies seriously and has helped out a lot.  There is absolutely no way I am going to give my son something that he is allergic to.  We have had to deal with eczema that has really bothered him to actual breathing problems where we have had to take him to the ER.


I decided after the appointment that i was not going to be frustrated but get on with my day and not let it get to me.  We had lunch and then I put Shirley and Rilla down for their naps.  I had made scrambled eggs with ham, bacon pieced, and mushrooms for lunch and offered two bites to Shirley (since his allergy test for eggs said he was not allergic to eggs).  He ate the two small bites but didn't want more, I don't think he liked the texture.  To make a long story short, Shirley had a severe allergic reaction.  His face and neck swelled up and he broke out in hives under his arms, lower back, stomach, and groin area.  When he woke up from his nap early crying, coughing, and wheezing, I didn't realize right away that he was having an allergic reaction.  Because he was wheezing I gave him an Albuterol treatment and gave him some benadryl because he was really rubbing his eyes and one ear.  His ear and cheeks and around his eyes were red, but I thought it was just his allergies bothering him and the area was red from him rubbing them.  We then went to pick up Walter from school and when we got back I realized he was having an allergic reaction.  i started taking pictures because I didn't realize the severity of the allergic reaction and thought it would go away soon since I had already given him benadryl (I wanted to be able to show Gil pictures and tell him about it when he got home).  After a few more minutes it I noticed he was getting worse and realized I needed to take him in.  I took him to the ER.  We were there 6 hours and I was so glad when we got to go home.  I now have a prescription for Prelone to give him now and can refill it for up to a year so if he has another severe reaction I will have more to give him.  plus I found out I can give him 3 times as much Benadryl as I gave him if it happens again.

Now of course I really want more allergy tests done.  Was it the Eggs? Or an ingredient in the bacon pieces or ham?  I hate not knowing. I am even more upset about the Allergist that I saw yesterday for not taking Shirley's symptoms and allergies more seriously.  I am going to be calling his daughter to make an appointment in Tucson.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh my, this is aweful! Poor baby. Derick has excema problems too, really bad on his legs and he's allergic to eggs but nothing else. I also took him to a dermatologist and didn't care for her, she was in the room for like 5 minutes, no one test or anything and just gave me perscriptions for cream... again more cream, why not tests? I was mad. Anyway I started using this lotion called Renew- its pretty expensive if your not a preferred customer, but reasonable if you are. It has helped Dericks excema almost 100%. His body was like tough and bumpy before I started using it now it is so soft and silky and the excema goes away with it. Of course if you dont use it everyday it eventually starts back up again, but this Renew helps prevent it. Anyway let me know if you'd like more information, I can send you some! I hope that the new doctore will help you out better. Good luck!

Marrian said...

WOW! I can't believe the ignorance of some professionals :). I have a friend in Germany whose daughter had epilepse. My friend had this gut feeling that her daughter was having seizures because of what she was eating but no one would believe here. It wasn't until they got to Germany that they found out she indeed was having seizures because of a food allergy.
My very first pediatrician (LDS, Air Force doc) said that a mom should ALWAYS trust her intuition because she is almost always right, over the docs. So there you have it :). Trust your gut over the "professional" opinion of docs :).
I sure hope the daughter is able to help you out.