The Osman Family

February 2012

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

More Allergy Testing!

We had more allergy testing done today.  The last few days have been a little frustrating because I wasn't able to give Shirley any type of antihistamines for a week before the test today, and he was cranky because his eczema was worse.  The testing today was much quicker than the patch tasting but more painful.  He cried when they applied what they were testing for because they had to get it under the skin.  Then we had to wait 15 minuted to read the results and I had to keep him from scratching.  I almost couldn't even get him to stop crying.  I couldn't hold him because I couldn't touch his back.  Luckily, I brought a hot dog for him to eat for lunch (he LOVES hot dogs) and I offered him that him and that calmed him right down and he ate that.  They tested for 28 foods and compared the results with the prior test.  It would take me a long time to write down everything they tested and the scores they got so I will just give you the final results.  Now it is complicated how she figured out on some of them because she used a statistics graph of results from a study of other children with EE.  There are a few food that fall in a gray area, not sure if he is or isn't allergic to them, so they will not be introduced into his diet, at least for now.


Here is what is OK for him to eat:

Beef
Rice
Pork
Corn
Chicken
Barley
Apple
Cod Fish
Carrots
Lima bean
Turkey
Fish
Soy
Green beans
Chocolate
*Potato

Allergic to the following:

Egg
Oat
Peanut
Wheat
Milk
Tree nuts
Tomato


Might be Allergic, not sure:

Grapes
Peas
Peaches

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's quite a lot to be allergic to. My prayers go out to you as you change your cooking habbits.. My Sister-in-law is having a similiar experience with her little boy.. he is allergic to wheat, milk and peanuts that I know of for sure. It has sure been a hard time for them.. changing habbits. take care!